QuillBot is a content paraphrasing SaaS system accessible through the web. The QuillBot team created their rephrasing software as a digital education tool at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
What is Quillbot?
QuillBot’s paraphrasing tool helps millions of people rewrite and enhance any sentence, paragraph, or article using state-of-the-art AI.
Who should use Quillbot?
Quillbot used by students, instructors, business professionals, and writers. Users can vary styles, tone, sentence structure, and more.
Why Should you use Quillbot?
- Your words matter, and our paraphrasing tool is designed to ensure you use the right ones.
- With 3 free modes and 4 premium modes to choose from, QuillBot’s paraphraser can rephrase any text in a variety of different ways, guaranteeing you find the perfect language, tone, and style for any occasion.
- Just enter your text into the input box, and our AI will work with you to build the best paraphrase from the original piece of writing.
- User friendly interface
- AI-powered rewritten sentences, paragraphs, and articles to save time and improve productivity.
- Highly customizable to provide more control over the rephrasing process.
- Analytics to track changes in original content and measure readability of the new one.
- Better content quality with the removal of unnecessary words and the smart choice of word replacements via built-in thesaurus.
- Multiple writing modes to help with grammar, creativity, and conciseness instantly.
- The premium version offers an increased character limit (Up to 10,000 characters at once), more writing modes (Suggestive & Concision), and improved word flipper.
- Good support services including FAQ page, blog, and message ticket page
Features of Quillbot
The main feature of Quillbot’s is the ability to rewrite sentences from existing articles and make them easier for you to read, understand, and learn.
Summarizer Tool & Limitations
The summarizer tool in Quill Bot can be used to help reduce articles, papers, or documents to their most important points. Natural language processing is used by Quill bot’s AI to identify crucial data while preserving the original context.
There are two available methods within the summarize tool:
Key Sentences is a compilation of the most essential sentences in bullet list form.
In the Paragraph format, it will produce a separate paragraph that summarizes the topic with an adjustable length setting.
For the paid plan, the Summarizer tool is limited to 25,000 characters per run whereas the free plan offers this as well with a significantly smaller 10,000 character limit.
Paraphrasing Tool & Limitations
Likely one of the best features within Quillbot is their paraphrasing tool which uses GPT-3 and synonyms to rewrite any pasted text within.
The free version of the paraphrasing tool gives you a condensed experience only offering:
- 700 character paraphraser limit
- Only 2 sentences can be processed at once
- 3 levels of synonym options
- 2 writing modes
- 1 freeze word or phrase
- Support for Chrome & Doc extensions
The Premium version of Quillbot offers a full experience with the maximized potential of their paraphrasing tool:
- 10,000 character paraphraser limit
- Up to 15 sentences processed at once
- 4 levels of synonym options
- 6 different writing modes
- Unlimited freeze words and phrases
- Support for Chrome & Doc Extensions
Differences in Writing Modes
- With the free plan, you only get the option of using the Normal & Fluency modes which are decent but don’t give you as many capabilities for coming up with effective yet unique outputs from their paraphrasing tool.
- When using QuillBot Premium, you’ll have the ability to utilize all six which include the two writing modes from the free plan (Normal & Fluency) as well as Creative mode, Shorten mode, Expand mode and Formal mode.
Grammar Check Tool
- There are a lot of great grammar checking tools on the market including Grammarly. The integrated Grammar Check tool within Quillbot detects and corrects a wide range of punctuation and spelling mistakes. This helps save time while you rewrite content by allowing the tool to do all the heavy lifting.
- One-click finds all grammatical errors and suggests the proper fixes. When the grammar checker points out errors in your work, it serves as a visual cue to make you aware of the problem(s). Quillbot’s grammar checking is claimed to outperform other such tools on the market due to their AI-powered models.
Citation Generator Tool
- Not something that I have a lot of experience using as I’m not writing academic papers or studies, but Quillbot offers access to an integrated Citation Generator. The citation generator allows you to produce complete and in-text citations in APA, MLA, and Chicago styles.
- It is not difficult to create an MLA, Chicago, or APA book citation, but you must adhere to the citation format’s rules. Because referencing a website differs from citing a book due to the medium differences, this tool can assist you with that task as well.
AI Powered Thesaurus
The built-in thesaurus will automatically suggest the various synonyms based on relevancy of the original wording. Similar words are offered by the thesaurus to ensure that it helps create a close connection between the input and output. This feature helps QuillBot make sentences sound natural and cohesive without being repetitive.
One of the cool premium features of Quillbot offers compared to most paraphrasing tools is the ability to see all the different phrases compare modes to see how they stack up against once another (not available in the free version). This helps save time by offering an easy overview of which sentence structures are the best sounding when paraphrasing content so you can pick and choose which you like best or avoid those using unnecessary words.
Extensions & Workflows
- The Quillbot software offers improved workflows through the use of extensions. The three it offers at this current time is are Microsoft Word, Google Docs & Google Chrome. Using an extension such as these will allow you to access the Quillbot features and functionality without having to open up a separate browser tab.
- I’m a big fan of the Quillbot Chrome extension as it is easy to use and straight forward. I’m primarily working with online text editors in the form of Jarvis, WordPress and SurferSEO so being able to paraphrase right within the native tools via the extension is convenient.
Something Missing: A Plagiarism Checker
- One thing that I think that the Quillbot team missed when adding features to this tool is a way to check for plagiarism. When paraphrasing content at scale like this, it is pretty essential for the vast majority of uses to have a way to check whether your content would pass a plagiarism check.
- Other tools like Grammarly, WriterZen and Jasper has integrated plagiarism checkers built-in so it makes a lot of sense for the Quillbot tool to offer it as well. Quillbot does allow you to see how much your text has changed in terms of percentage compared to the original pasted source text, but this doesn’t help as much as a plagiarism analysis would.
In conclusion, Not only will Quillbot help you speed up your writing and save you time, but you can learn a lot about sentence framing by seeing their rephrased options. You will learn how a single sentence can be said in various ways, and learn about various synonyms. There is no need to google a particular word’s synonyms. So, using this tool is a learning process.